The church was part of a Dominican convent whose construction began in 1538. Due to ground subsidence, it was later decided to transfer it to a nearby but safer area.

The construction took a considerable amount of time, mainly due to the earthquakes in 1638 and 1783. The flourishing convent, equipped with a well-stocked library, was closed in 1809 due to a lack of monks. Over time, it became a ruin and disappeared definitively around the middle of the last century.

Inside the church, in the apse, there is an oil painting on canvas depicting Saint Mary of the Rescue protecting a child from Satan. The painting, restored a few years ago at the expense of a private family from Badolato, is attributed to the painter Francesco Cozza from Stilo (18th Century). However, some plausibly consider it the work of the Nicastro painter Francesco Colella, who lived in the same period as Cozza.

The frescoes on the vault are attributed to the Flemish painter Guglielmo Borremans (circa 1730). The pulpit and all the other stuccos, in the Baroque style, are believed to be the work of the Calabrian artist Frangipane from the same period.

The main altar dates back to 1876. Noteworthy is also the painting of Our Lady of the Rosary with Saints Dominic and Catherine by Colloca, as well as the wooden statue of the Risen Christ, with which the annual meeting of the Risen Jesus with his Mother, known as a Cumprunta, takes place every Easter Sunday. The extensive frescoes in the sacristy, which are interesting but little-known, are also worth mentioning.

Every year, the members of the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary, entrusted with the church, create a large nativity scene using Eighteenth-Century statuettes from the Neapolitan School.

During this period, the church is closed for worship and not open to visitors due to

important ongoing works for necessary repairs to the deteriorated roof due to centuries of neglect.

Tour

Gallery