This church is certainly of Basilian origin: it can be deduced from the apse that faces south, with the “main” altar placed on the opposite wall to the north; there are also traces of vanished frescoes in the original apse.
The first document referring to it dates back to 1310, but it was restored in 1646, as indicated on the entrance door.
The artistic wooden ceiling, composed of 558 coffers, was created in 1839 by artists from Serra San Bruno.
On the altar, there is a tempera painting on wood depicting the Mystical Marriage of St. Catherine of Alexandria (Sposalizio mistico di S. Caterina d’Alessandria con Gesù Bambino). According to the historian and critic Antonio Gesualdo, it is the work of the Iberian master Perea. However, more than one scholar states that the panel is not by Perea, but by another artist from the same period, dating around 1500, and it was restored a few years ago. On the right side, it features the figure of the Calabrian Saint Francis from Paola, the founder of the Minims, who was a co patron of Badolato along with Saint Andrew Avellino for several years. The discrepancy in dates, compared to the beatification of the saint, suggests that it is an addition made after the creation of the artwork.
At the base of the panel, there was a predella depicting the Apostles, stolen by unidentified individuals along with two other paintings.
On the left wall, beneath the stolen canvas, traces of color were visible: it was a fresco depicting the virgin and martyr, St. Catherine of Alexandria. Restored in 2006 by the master Pino Mantella, it dates back to 1450 ca.
The custody and care of the church are entrusted to the centenary Confraternity of Saint Catherine, whose members participate in the most important religious processions of the town. Every year, on November 25th, the liturgical feast of Santa Caterina, the confraternity organizes a festival that is increasingly enriched with attractions and participation.