It is one of the five flat areas in the urban centre called squares, and it is the westernmost one, on the ridge. The area is also commonly known as Spinetto, a toponym most likely borrowed from a neighborhood in Serra San Bruno, as the Carthusians had land concessions extending down to the low hills near the sea, including in Badolato, since its foundation in the early second millennium by the Norman Robert Guiscard.
Its name is derived from the homonymous church that existed in the neighborhood until the earthquake of 1783.
The wide open-space was well-known during the Fascist era as it was often used for regime gatherings, but its fame was – and still is – remarkable because every year on Easter Sunday, the Cumprunta takes place, which is the meeting of Jesus, triumphant over death, with His Mother who, upon seeing Him, turns the agonizing pain into radiant joy. The event occurs at noon amidst flag dances by the Confraternities, drum rolls, and triumphant performances by the band, in a jubilant atmosphere of a crowd praising and weeping with emotion.